The Safari, The Stay, & More
With nearly 2 million hectares of unparalleled wildlife, Kruger National Park is a must visit for any animal-loving traveler.
With nearly 2 million hectares of unparalleled wildlife, Kruger National Park is a must visit for any animal-loving traveler. Home to all five of Africa’s Big Five and the best place in the world to spot a leopard, travelers will have a plate full of adventure while here.
Adventure comes at a cost, however, and there are exactly a few ways to budget for a trip to Kruger National Park. Here is an overview of the cost of a safari, the stay, and more.
Trip to Kruger National Park cost
Travel costs can obviously vary according to the place of departure of the travellers. This guide will therefore focus primarily on the options available to travelers for reaching Kruger National Park from OR Tambo International Airport.
There are three main options for getting to Kruger once they land. The options are to drive or take a taxi for the four and a half hours to the park, take an internal flight from Johannesburg to Kruger Mpumalanga Airport and then drive or take a taxi for one hour, or take a domestic flight from Johannesburg directly to Skukuza.
Driving/taxing from OR Tambo International Airport
Travelers who have just arrived in South Africa may not have access to a car and may not want to rent a car as it will not be used for much of this trip. This means travelers will likely want to travel the distance by taxi. City Airport Taxis offers two different services to help travelers. It is a two-seater sedan and a seven-seater van. Travelers who wish to rent a car can still choose to do so as well.
Take a domestic flight from Johannesburg to Kruger Mpumalanga Airport
This route will bring travelers a little closer to the park than to OR Tambo International Airport, but it does require an additional transfer. The price of a flight to Kruger Mpumalanga Airport is usually in the USD 200 range. Additionally, a transfer to the park from this airport can cost as little as $54.27. All in all, this option is usually cheaper than traveling directly from OR Tambo International Airport.
Take a domestic flight from Johannesburg directly to Skukuza
This is the most direct way to reach Kruger National Park and possibly the cheapest as flights can be found between $146 and $322, and travelers do not need to find separate transport to reach the park.
Cost of stay at Kruger National Park
The part assesses daily fees for visitors and their fees will, of course, be the costs of where travelers can stay in the park. The costs of these accommodations can vary greatly depending on the time of year; however, here are some numbers to keep in mind. The average cost of a hotel room for a couple per night is $105, camps will cost around $35 per night, and luxury accommodation can easily cost hundreds.
- South African citizens and residents (with ID) – ZAR 110 (USD 6.55) per adult, per day / ZAR 55 (USD 3.27) per child, per day
- SADC nationals (with passport) – ZAR 220 (USD 13.09) per adult, per day / ZAR 110 (USD 6.55) per child, per day
- Standard Custody Fee (International Visitors) – R440 ZAR (26.18 USD) per adult, per day / 220 ZAR (13.09 USD) per child, per day
- Camping – Pitches for caravans or tents – most have electricity (except Balule and some in Punda Maria). Lower Sabie sites have designated boundaries and have their own water taps.
- Hut – Single room units with shared kitchen and shared bathrooms.
- safari tent – Permanent tent rooms on permanent platforms. Some have shared kitchens and shared bathroom facilities, while others are fully equipped and have more luxurious fittings.
- Bungalow – Single bedroom units with bathroom. Some have communal kitchens, while others have their own kitchenettes with basic cooking facilities. Some bungalows have perimeter or river views, while others have been upgraded to Deluxe status.
- Cottage – Single bedroom units with living room, bathroom and kitchen.
- Family Chalet – Multi-bedroom units with living room, bathroom and kitchen.
- Guest accommodation – Multi-bedroom units with at least two bathrooms, one of which is en-suite. Fully equipped kitchen.
- Guest House – Several bedrooms and bathrooms with lounge area and often with bar and exclusive view.
- Luxury Lodges – These exclusive private lodges, with a unique style and atmosphere, are part of a suite of products known as SANParks “Golden Kudus”, where luxury is the order of the day.
Kruger National Park safari cost
Kruger National Park safari costs are also highly subject to the season and current demand. All their prices are subject to availability and may change without notice. For the latest rates and special offers, travelers should request a quote or speak to one of our African Safari Specialists. That being said, the moderately priced 3-day Relaxing Kruger Safari Experience costs around $937.22 compared to the 3-day Romantic Kruger Park Escape which costs around $2,555.79.